Around 1950 many of the churches in Northeast Arkansas and Southeast Missouri had thriving youth ministries that cooperated in the Unified Christian Endeavor Rally. Members met at least quarterly, if not monthly. The area covered by the rally was Trumann, Arkansas, to Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
Rev. Wilbert Allen had lived on a farm near Greenville, Mo., before moving to Poplar Bluff, and still owned the farm in 1950. It is unknown whether the Brosends giving a tract of land near Newburgh, Ind., sparked the idea, or if Rev. Allen already planned for a youth camp in Missouri, but shortly after the Brosends gave land for a camp, Rev. Allen approached Ollie Latch with the idea of making his farm into a camp. The camp was near Lake Wappapello. Businessmen in St. Louis wanted to buy the land because of its proximity to the lake, but Rev. Allen did not want to sell it to them for their purposes. He wanted General Baptists to have the use of it.
Today, Camp Allen is a non-profit organization operated by a board of directors, with two board members elected from eleven associations for the purpose of providing a ministry in evangelism, Christian education, fellowship, leadership training, and camping.
CAMP ALLEN is nestled in the middle of the Mark Twain National Forest near Poplar Bluff, Missouri. It is truly a wonderful and exciting place to be! Located 1 mile from Lake Wappapello, the area provides a beautiful secluded spot to get away from the world and concentrate on Jesus Christ and His creation. Camp Allen is approximately 100 miles south of St. Louis, or 20 miles north of Poplar Bluff, 3 miles off Highway 67 on Highway F.
All the buildings are heated / cooled, according to the season.
A 22,000 square foot worship center consists of a 500-seat auditorium with state of the art sound, video, and lighting systems; three large meeting rooms; large foyer area with restrooms; large meeting room with fireplace; kitchen; and 18 rooms with private baths, each sleeping 10 people.
The 14,500 square foot Life Building Center contains a 70′ X 150 gymnasium that can be used for basketball, volleyball, table tennis, and many other activities. Connected to the gym is a 28′ X 70′ room with adjoining kitchen. Upstairs are eight sleeping rooms with twin bunks, which will accommodate up to 100 people.
Dining facilities include one room for 200 people and a second will seat up to 250 for dining or 300 for meetings. Off the dining hall are two rooms with private baths. The lower level of the dining hall has 8 deluxe rooms with private baths. Each room has a king or queen size bed and two twin size bunk beds; each room will sleep six people.
Cabins also are available.